Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Having a Pre-existing Condition — Who Doesn't Have One

I was thinking about this the other day. The problem of pre-existing condition and how they are treated under the Republican "health care"plan (I put it in quotes because what type of a plan end result is that millions of people won't have insurance).

The more I thought about it the more I thought doesn't just about everyone have a pre-existing condition. I have two. I had skin cancer a few years back. I won't be declared cancer free for another couple of years. I also have high cholesterol. So I've got two pre-existing condition.

Under the Republican "plan" my insurance company could come along and say it wouldn't cover either of those. Or make me pay a higher premium. I'm in the right bracket for a higher premium no matter what because I'm 58. And older people under this "plan" will be charged more just because they are older. You could be in the best shape and health possible but that would make no difference.

Republicans have bent over backwards to say this is not what will happen. But if it does there will be high risk pools which will help people pay for the high premiums. Expect there won't be nearly enough money in the pools to help out enough people that will be in the pools.

What a sad state of affairs we have come to in this country where millions will lose insurance so a few can gain millions in dollars. But that's the Republican Party for you.

No comments: