Thursday, September 20, 2012

Nationals Double Header

I had a great time last afternoon-evening at the Nationals games. It was just about seven hours of baseball. I'm not sure I've ever gone to a double header and this would be the classic twinight double header.

It all worked out because I had an appointment with the gum guy at 2pm yesterday. I was able to go to that appointment (more on that in a later post) and then head down to the game. Before I stopped off at Panera Bread for a sandwich and then picked up a couple of cookies from Fire Hook Bakery.

Then it was off to the game. They won the first game. The second well they should have won. They were flat for most of the game until they came alive in the 8th inning and scored 6 runs. Pretty damn amazing. I was yelling myself hoarse.

Here's what the Post said:

No Washington baseball team has clinched a postseason berth in 79 years, and so one more day, or even few more days, makes for a short wait. But the Washington Nationals did not have to make it so painful on themselves on Wednesday night. They did not have to beat the grimmest of odds only to find the most wrenching way to lose. A blown call did not have to turn from a footnote to a turning point.

The Nationals nearly pulled off their latest, most incredible miracle before they lost, 7-6 in the nightcap of a doubleheader against the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Nationals, playing with half their regulars on the bench, rallied for six runs in the eighth inning to tie the score, only to watch Matt Kemp slam a game-winning home run off Tyler Clippard to lead off the ninth inning.

I was only a little disappointed by the out come. I certainly wanted them to win but the 8th inning was such fun!

Better news tonight the Nationals are officially in the post season.

A few shots from the game last night.

Ian Desmond signing autographs

Screech greeting the crowd

No comments: