Sunday, June 10, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman



I saw this last Sunday. I'd like to say that I liked this movie but have to say I really didn't. It wasn't terrible but it had some problems. The pacing of the film is just horrible. There are some good action sequences and then the movie just grinds to a halt. It gets very talky and not a great deal happens.

Also the opening scenes deal with the back story of how Snow White was imprisoned and the wicked queen came to power. The only reason I could figure out why this wasn't reduced to a few lines of dialogue was so there could be cool special effects of the demon warriors. Otherwise it really wasn't all that necessary.

Kristen Stewart as Snow White does a passable job. At least she has a little more emotional range than what she has in those horrible Twilight movies. But at the end of the day she's supposed to give this rousing speech to rally the troops to battle the wicked queen and well it just doesn't exactly work.

Speaking of the wicked queen, Charlize Theron plays her well. She certainly gets the wicked down right. And the evil part down right. The problem is that she doesn't have a great deal to do in the scenes she is. There are only so many times she can rant and rave about not catching Snow White. In fact the movie seems to go from action scenes to scenes with her and, as I said, they just slow down the movie.

I like Chris Hemsworth as the huntsman. He seems the most believable and best drawn of the three main characters. And his back story is done in a few lines of dialogue which at the same time advances the main story. Not sure why this couldn't have been from the beginning with the other characters.

Another reason I didn't like the movie, which I have to say was not the movie's fault, but I had to pay $10 for the first show on a Sunday. The noon show on Sunday was $10. Let me state that again the first show of the day was $10 and this was not a movie in 3-D. This is the "matinee" price. I'm thinking I won't be going to that theater again for awhile.

In all I'd say wait for this one to go to Netflix.






No comments: