Thursday, March 17, 2011

Walking, Walking and Walking

That’s what I’ve been doing lately. And doing a lot I might add.

As I said my work is sponsoring a 10,000 steps a day program. I’ve taken up that challenge and am doing very well with it. Most days I’ve reached10,000 steps by the time I get to work. Today it was right around 12,000. It’s amazing how many steps you can get in if you don’t do much anything else. Well that’s a slight exaggeration but not by much.

Then again it is pretty easy to get in a great many steps without going all that much out of your way.

I get up when I normally do around 5:10. Instead of just lounging around the house in the morning, I head out for a walk. There’s a track not to far from my house. I walk there and around the track a couple of times and then head back home. That get me to somewhere around 5,000 plus steps. Sometimes I walk a few more times around the track or take a slightly different route. The walk to the Metro is 1,200 steps.

Now instead of gong to Metro Center and walking to work from there, I get off at Union Station and walk from there. I need to leave about 30 minutes earlier than I normally. At work I try and get out a couple of times each day and walk around the block. An easy way to add steps and a great way to just take a break from work. Once work is over I walk back to Union Station. It is a very nice walk and a great way to unwind from the day. And I’m only getting home 30 minutes later than normal. After dinner I go out for another walk.

I’ve had some very impressive totals. The other day I got in 30,000 steps.

All this walking comes at a time where I’ve set another goal. I want to try and loose 15 pounds by the time I turn 52 which is the first week in June. I started this the beginning of March. It means I’d have to loose about a pound a week. So far I’m on track for doing that in fact it looks like I might be a couple of pounds ahead of the game. To help reach the goal I decided for Lent to give up Coke and chocolate. Except for chocolate milk which is supposed to be the best thing to drink to help recover from a workout.

And that’s what I’ve been up to the past week or so. Walking and walking and . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats! This sounds like a great idea. My company joined this Long Island Challenge last year. We won. It was to get more employees into these health topic related lunch & learn classes. Plus it promoted healthier lifestyles. Keep walking! You'll see how fast some extra pounds will be shed...not that you look like you need to lose any!!!!

Jason in DC said...

Thanks so much for that.

It is fun to see the steps and miles pile up.

I'm going up to New York on Wednesday. It will be interesting to see how many steps I get in up there.