Monday, January 17, 2011

Sad Sighting

That's the best way I can describe what a friend and I saw on Saturday.

We were meeting up at Bertuccis for lunch. We were then going to go to a GW basketball game. The Bertuccis is located in a mall/office building on the GW campus.

As we were leaving, we saw a homeless man sitting on a bench in the mall area. My friend said to me that's our guy. I said is it. He said yes it was. On looking a little closer I had to agree.

What he meant by our guy is this is a homeless man we have been seeing or walking by for almost 30 years. We first started seeing him not long after I graduated from GW which was in 1981.

In the course of the past couple of days I've been thinking about that man. I've thought of all the things that I've done in my life. The places that I've been. All the fun things I've done. All the holidays with my family. Then I thought of more mundane things like being able to go to a movie or a grocery store and buy food.

This guy has been walking the streets for that same time period.

As I said a very sad sighting indeed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sad indeed. Living in NY, I often see the same homeless people on the streets at various times. It's hard to see them.

Roger Owen Green said...

It's odd that we seem to adopt them, too, in an arms-length sort of way.