Monday, January 10, 2011

Free Showtime Weekend

This past weekend was a free weekend to watch Showtime. This happens a couple of times a year. I usually remember about it sometime late on a Sunday night. This time I remembered on Saturday afternoon. Actually when I pressed the program button on the remote to see what was on there was a reminder in the guide. I thought that was pretty smart.

I watched parts of a couple movies. I mostly switched over when I got bored with the football games. I was reminded yet again why I don’t subscribe to Showtime or to any of the other movies channels. They show the same movie over and over and over and over again. I think I had access to five or six different Showtime channels. They seemed to playing about 5 different films. One was one of the Twilight movies (more on that latter). It would be on one channel at 11 am. Later that afternoon around 3 it would be on one of the other channels. Then a couple of hours later it would on yet again on yet another Showtime channel. Even if you really really really liked the film, I can’t see sitting down and watching it three times in one day.

To me that’s the problem with the pay movie channels. They play movies to death. I did get to watch the last part of Ruthless People which has one of my favorite lines: I’ve been kidnapped by KMart. The other movies are things I’ve never heard of with actors I’ve never heard of. Or movies that are out and out bombs like the incredibly stupid Knowing.

And speaking of bad movies, I watched part of two of the Twilight movies. They are just so bad it is beyond belief. Lots of people mopping around. They have some of the dumbest dialog I think I’ve ever heard. Neither one of the movies had any sort of pace at all; they both were just leaden. Even the exciting parts weren’t much and the special effects well they weren’t very special.

So I won’t be signing up for Showtime any time soon.

No comments: