Monday, January 24, 2011

Finding Parking in the District Stinks

Well actually I think I should say it sucks. And for those who live here that statement doesn’t come as a huge surprise.

I went to my gym on Sunday. I drove. Although it was a little later in the day than I usually go (I was taking a class at 11am), I thought it wouldn’t be all the much trouble to find a place to park.

All I can say is I’m glad I left myself a little extra time. Finding a space can be a problem.

The number of entrances where you cannot park is just ridiculous. It seems just about every office building has an entrance area in front of the building where people cannot park. And they cannot park all the time. It makes no sense to me why people cannot park in these spots after hours and on Sundays. Because I’m thinking no one is using the entrance during those times.

But figuring out all of the signs is just nuts. I thought I’d find a spot. I parked. I then looked very carefully at the signs that were posted. One said no standing or parking between 7 am and 9:30 am and then no standing or parking between 4:30pm and 7:00pm. Essentially you can’t park during rush hour. I thought to myself, this is fine. I thought that way until I saw the second sign. It said no parking at any time.

How the hell does that make any sense at all. Either you can park during non-rush times or you can’t park all. Why were both signs there? And it’s not as if they covered different areas. It was the exact same area of the street.

So I continued my search. It took another five minutes or so to find a spot but I did find one. I spotted it and of course was in the wrong lane to get it. I was able to go around the block and it was still open when I got back.

So I had some good parking karma on Sunday.

No comments: