Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Snowcentric

I’m trying to figure out where the last couple of weeks have gone. I know things happened in the world. Things in politics. Evan Bayh. Movies opened. Plays opened. Sporting events took place (the Superbowl was played right).

But since February 6 until this past weekend everything has been focused on snow.

How much snow. When will it come. What’s the accumulation. How often to shovel. When and if the plows will show up. How much food do I have. What about toilet paper. Is there enough oil in my tank to heat my house (turns out I ordered more oil for Monday but ran dry on Sunday more on that later). How many trips to the grocery store will I take? How easy will it be to walk there because you sure weren’t driving your car there. What if any food will be left? How long will you have to stand in line?

Will the weight of all that snow have any impact on my enclosed back porches? Will the ice damns on my gutters ever break so water won’t be flowing into my house? Will the mounds of snow in my back yard ever melt. The piles were augmented by my neighbors shoveling their snow into my yard. They both park in the back and needed to put it somewhere.

Last Monday I got so sick of shoveling and knocking off icicles (the big one down the street finally came down all they lost was their downspout). I fled out into civilization with other people pursing something other than snow. I went up to Silver Spring and saw a movie. I saw Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief. For a brief moment I thought about seeing The Hurt locker at AFI but decided to go escapist instead. And for a couple of hours I felt like a normal human being. Doing a normal thing on a day off going to see a movie. I felt normal until I emerged from the theater to see the piles of snow again and snow flurries coming down.

I’m was almost back to normal and then the Olympics started. Now I’m Olympic centric but that ends on Sunday. And then February is over. I have to wonder where it went.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I am trying to figure out the same thing. I have been lost somewhere in the snow covered hills of the capital. I have no idea where February is in my memory, but I am slowly digging it out and placing a chair on top of it to save my parking spot.