Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Debate

So we had our first presidential debate. I have to say this is the first time in a long time that I actually watched one.

I will say that at the end I didn't think either candidate "won" the debate. That seems to be the general reaction from the talking heads as well. There was no big mistake on either side. I think they both sort of ducked the question on how they view the economic bailout. But then again as Obama said they don't have the final language yet so it is a little early to be commenting on it. Thankfully they both said rather loudly that something has to be done.

I did think it rather amusing when Jim Lehrer asked what program or policy they would give up because of the impact of the bailout. Neither one of them really answered that question either. And Lehrer gave them plenty of chances to do so. It might have been a little unfair because the details of final plan is not yet know.

Both of them talked about government waste. McCain especially harped on this subject. There's all this money that can be saved. I'm going to look at every single agency. We'll save billions. I'm not saying there isn't waste in government or that money can't be saved but we've been getting this line since Reagan and I've yet see any of the billions in savings they talked about.

The foreign policy aspect of the debate was pretty much what I'd expected. I think it was a good exchange of ideas. I think McCain scored some points on Obama not saying the surge is/was a success. However, I think Obama countered well by saying being in Iraq has distracted us from our real mission. Obama also avoided the McCain charge that Obama would just leave Iraq. The rest as I said was standard stuff.

A couple of points.

I don't understand why McCain needed to put in the digs. He could made the same contrasts without being so snarky. Especially since in all the media run up to the debate everywhere and everyone (at least when I watched) mentioned can McCain hold his temper and not do exactly what he did.

I think the most important thing is that Obama held his own.

And in saying that I don't think last night changed all that many opinions.

1 comment:

Arthur Schenck said...

I disagree: Obama did win the debate. Commentators have given him an A- and McCain a B- (which is being generous). Obama spent most of his time talking about what he'll do on the future, and McCain spent his time talking about what he did 20 years ago. McCain was snarky, as you said, and just downright meanspirited, while Obama remained cool and affable.

I also don't think McCain scored any points on the surge. He came across as smug when he was making those comments. And Obama effectively demolished McCain's empty "end earmarks and we'll balance the budget" nonsense.

In sum, we saw in Obama a fresh and energetic leader for the future and in McCain we saw a tired politician stuck in the past.