Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Working Out, Working Out Some More and . . .

Tuesday was a big day for working out. There's a guy who teaches a spinning class at Results. I used to take a class with him a Bally's like ten years ago. His class is at 6:30 am on Tuesdays. Tuesday is of course one of my personal training days with Randy. This Tuesday my session with Randy was at 8 am. It occurred to me that I could do both in the morning.

The spinning class is 45 minutes long. I'd get out of it at 7:15. I could take a shower change into my work out clothes and have a little over half an hour before the training session. I decided I'd go ahead. I figured the worst that could happen is I'd be totally wiped out by it and never do it again. The one funny thing was the the spinning instructor was out on Tuesday so there was a sub. She was very good.

Randy saw me taking he spinning class. Later he kiddingly said it was sort of a slap in the face that I was taking the spinning class before our training session. He said he would have to make this session a real challenge. As if he'd have to try to do that with any training session we have.

We did upper body and abs. We did the bench press as one of the chest exercises. I never realized that the bar that holds the weights is 45 pounds. It doesn't feel that heavy. Anyway I did much better than the last time I did this. I think I lifted more weight but my form was much much better. I did well on the other exercises too. I have to say this was one of the most enjoyable workouts I've had with Randy. It was dare I say it fun. In fact I'd say I really look forward to the training session. I know they are going to be hard but I know they are really pushing me.

Randy says I'm making very good progress. He asked how much weight I've lost and I said around 10 pounds. He says it looks like I've taken more than that off. I know I fit into more pants than every before and some of them are way too big. I've noticed I have muscles in my arms and I also have much more stamina. Finally my balance has improved too. It still has a way to go but I'm working on that.

So what better way to celebrate my accomplishments but another workout session. Randy taught a TRX class tonight. There are a couple pictures of what it looks like below. Also here's a general description of how the TRX works:

Vector Resistance employs gravity and simple geometry to convert the user’s own body mass into weight experienced as resistance. At the most practical level, this means that the more you lean your body onto the TRX System, the greater the difficulty of each exercise. With the TRX System’s Vector Resistance technology, users can adjust the difficulty of any exercise simply moving the position of their arms, feet or body angle, instead of needing to change the pin or reach for another set of dumbbells.


The class lasted about 50 minutes just like a training session. There were five of us. It was hard. Randy really put us through a tough and very thorough workout. I know I can speak for myself that I was pretty wiped out by the end. There is a nearly limitless number of exercises you can do with the TRX. You can use it for both upper and lower body. With the right trainer you really get a great workout and that's exactly what Randy gave us.

Tomorrow is Thursday and it's right back to Results for another training session. I just hope by the end of tomorrow I'll still be able to put one foot in front of the other.




















No comments: