Thursday, August 07, 2008

What I Don't Have

Two weeks ago I went to the dermatologist to have him look at a mole I had. I'd had it for a while but decided it was time for someone to take a look. I'd gone to my regular doctor and he referred me to the dermatologist.

The dermatologist did an exam from top to bottom of me looking at my moles. I learned some interesting things. He said most people worry about flaps of skin that protrude from their body. He said that those are never skin cancer. Skin cancer occurs in moles that are flat to the skin. Also you either have skin cancer or you don't. There is no in between. Everyone thinks that skin cancer will show up on skin that is exposed to the sun but 40% of skin cancer is in places where the sun don't usually shine.

After the exam he focused on the mole I pointed out. He said it was probably fine but would do a biopsy on the mole. So, after he did the biopsy, I asked what happens if it comes back positive. Do I come back? He said he'd already removed the mole. Shows you how well I was paying attention. He said in all likelihood it was a non-regular mole and I'd have nothing to worry about.

Then he went over things I needed to look out for. A change in size of the mole. A change in color in the mole. That can mean the mole can get darker in color or it can lighten in color (something I never knew). Moles that are irregular in shape.

Finally he said the biopsy results take five to seven days. Also he only calls with bad news. I haven't heard from him so I'm fine just a non-regular mole.

Below is the pamphlet he gave to me. It gives a great deal of very useful information. Click to see the image larger.

One thing I forgot to ask was how often should a doctor do a top to bottom exam of your moles. I'm going to make sure the next time I go to my doctor I ask.

But the important thing is I'm fine.

























1 comment:

Arthur Schenck said...

Congrats—that's great news! The weird thing is that I never heard of any of this until I moved away. Go figure. At any rate, I'm glad things turned out well!