Monday, August 25, 2008

Down To The Mall Today

This is one of the reason I so enjoy living right in Washington, DC. I took the day off from work and headed down to the Mall. My goal was to go and see the exhibit on Afghanistan at the National Gallery. I hadn't planned much beyond that. I headed out around 9:30 so I could get to the gallery when it opened at 10.

It's now the end of summer and the huge crowds of tourists has started to fade. Many schools are back in session or about to be so there were not all that many families with kids. A large percentage of the tourists were foreigners.

The Afghan exhibit was very impressive. It was thought that many of these objects had been lost because of the recent wars and the Taliban. But curators at the National Museum in Kabul stole away many of these objects and they have just recently been re-discovered. They are truly precious.

No comments: