Monday, July 28, 2008

Weekend Rides

Two great rides this weekend. The days could not have been more different.

Saturday I got out of the house at 5:40 am. The air was fresh and clear and not all that humid. I started out wearing my regular glasses. It was a little too dark out to be wearing my sun glasses. I was not the only one out that early. There was another guy who passed me on the hill on Rhode Island Ave. I felt like I was standing still he went by me so quickly. Not the greatest thing to inspire you for a long ride.

I have to say I’m always a little grumpy when I start on a ride. Part of the reason is that is damn early. It also takes me a little while to get into a rhythm. Once I get out of the city there is less stop and go. Also there are a series of hills when you get on the Custis Trail. After you get to the East Fall Metro stop the path flatten outs. At that point you’re officially on the W&OD Trail.

Between Reston and Herndon were a whole bunch of runners training for some sort of run. They were better at moving so I could pass them. Unlike the group on the Mt. Vernon Trail two weeks before. I went to Smiths Switch Station which is about at mile 26. There were port a-potties there (yeah a place to pee) and vending machines. There was also an air hook up. It is a pretty nice place to stop. This is the farthest I’ve been on the W&OD since I was training for the last AIDS Ride I was in which was in 1999.

Before you get to the switch station there is parking off one of the main roads. I’m not sure which one it is because I ride over it. It looks like commuter parking where people would park their car and then take a shuttle to a metro stop probably Vienna. On Saturday this place was filling up with riders. Lots and lots of cars with racks on the back.

I reached the station around 8:30 or so. Probably about half a dozen or more riders stopped while I was eating my banana and my chocolate pop-tarts. I matched my top speed of 23.1 miles an hour. I had to slow down because of traffic and wasn’t able to get back up to that speed again. I spooked a little baby bunny. It ran across the path and got hit by another bike. I looked back. He appeared to be only stunned because he righted himself rather quickly and ran into the safety of the shrubs.

The ride back was pretty good. I had my usual time frame of feeling like I would not be able to make it back. I had that a couple of times on the way back. I just ride through it. I’ve decided that down shifting makes it easier to peddle the bike but it takes a great deal of energy. I’ve found it I can push through these spots in the higher gears I suddenly find myself back up to a reasonable speed.

I made it back into the city around 10:35. I stopped off at Dupont Circle to run an errand and was home around 11:30. Then I had all the fun with the garbage disposal. Total for Saturday 63.

Sunday could not have been a more different day. I stepped out on to my porch with my bike and could tell at 6:00 am that it was going to be a very warm and uncomfortable day. The humidity was already way up there. My ride on Sunday I was actually dripping in sweat. It ran off my face.

I decided I was going to ride as far as Saturday. I figured my legs would not be able to take it. I did ride all the way to Mt. Vernon. Something I haven’t done for years. It was a pretty easy ride except for the last part of the trail before you reach Mt. Vernon. It seems like long hill the last quarter mile or so before you get there. I arrived before 8. My goal was to ride until 8 and then see where I was and take it from there. I was right at the end of the trail. I sat down had my snack and headed back.

There were not many people on the trail. I have to assume that was due to the early hour and the fact it was Sunday. Total for Sunday 45.

A very good weekend for riding.

No comments: