Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Economic Brew

What better way to point out how bad the economy is then what Starbucks will be doing. It will be closing 600 stores. Read about it in the Post and USA Today

I guess with gas at $4 a gallon people are having to make a decision between lattes or gas. I guess gas wins out.

Then again closing 600 stores is just a fraction like 8% of the number of Starbuck stores in the US. The problem might be that there are just too many damn stores. In a two block radius of Dupont Circle there are four stores. Maybe that's one or two too many.

I have to say I can't understand on something that smells so good as beans can taste so terrible when it is made into a drink. I also don't understand standing in a line out the door to get coffee when it's 90 degrees outside.

But the bottom line here is this points out that people are cutting back on their discretionary spending and unfortunately Starbucks is one of the causalities of that cut back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I have linked to this at The DC Feed.

Jason in DC said...

Thanks so much!