Sunday, July 13, 2008

Down the W&OD for 48 Miles

I made it down the W&OD Trail to the tune of 48 miles today. I got off just about the time I was supposed to right around 6:15 am. I'd like to say I was more prepared than yesterday but that's not the case.

The weather was as nice as yesterday. There was a slight breeze on the way back which helped keep things cool but I always have problems with wind no matter how little it is.

There were very few people out on the trail. Thankfully there were no groups of people running in large groups. On one of the very flat straightaways I was able to get up to 23.1 miles per hour and maintain it for a little while too. As I've said in the past, one of the things I like about the W&OD is the flats on the trail. It is amazing to me look down at my speedometer and see how fast I'm going.

Here's a strange thing that happened to me on ride. I was on my way back. This woman passed by me in the other lane on roller blades. I could have sworn that it looked like someone I worked with. I dismissed it at first but the more I thought about it the more I decided it had to be her. So I turned around. I got close to her and then called out her name. Sure enough it was her. Even with her back to me, I could more or less see her expression after I'd called out her name of who the hell is going to know me on this path. The thing is she doesn't live out in Virginia she live in DC. We chatted for a little while and then headed on our respective ways.

On the way home I stopped off at the gym. I did this in part because I had to pee really bad. I still don't understand why there are so few restroom facilities on the trail. I also wanted to do some exercises. My shoulders really hurt when I go on long rides especially if I'm using the camelbak. After about 25 minutes there I headed back home. I got in just about at 11:15.

Not a bad bit of riding in 5 hours including stops.

For the weekend it means I went 90 miles.

And now I'm taking a nap!

No comments: