Monday, June 02, 2008

Buying Gas

I bought gas on Saturday.

I did it in Virginia while I was doing some shopping. I first pulled into a BP gas station. As soon as I realized it was a BP station I pulled right out. I ended up getting gas at a Sunoco station. It was 12 cents a gallon cheaper at the Sunoco station as opposed to the BP station. It was still $3.969.

The only thing I can say I have going is that I really don't fill up the tank that often. The last time was May 1. On that date gas was 30 cents a gallon cheaper.

The increase in prices seems to have slowed slightly but the price of gas set yet another record today. There been some news reports that this is as high as it will go. That there will be a decline in prices maybe as much as 10 percent. I really don't see how that's going to happen. Yes people are driving a little less but we will be heading into peak vacation season in the next few weeks. I really don't see demand going down. Prices may not go up as much but I think we're going to see $4 a gallon or close to it for the rest of the summer.

It seems the price of gas has done some good. More people are taking public transportation according to a story in the Post. It will be interesting to see if those number continue to go up.

2 comments:

Arthur Schenck said...

Just FYI, at NZ$2.00 per litre today, petrol in Auckland was US $5.91 per US gallon (standard 91 octane unleaded). All stations have the same price except, maybe, in the first few hours of price changes; they always change within hours of each other, though some people allege that BP is the fastest to raise prices and slowest to lower them, though there's little evidence to support that.

Jason in DC said...

In the States, BP is the most expensive. I've never seen them cheaper than other stations.

I can't understand why anyone would buy gas from them. In several cases that I've seen, BP is 20 cents more expensive from the station across the street.