Thursday, May 22, 2008

Rocking at the Gym

I'm back in full swing at the gym. My training sessions are going great. Last week Randy said I've progressed really well. He added he would have to come up with some new exercises to beat me down. Well Tuesday he came pretty damn close. We did upper body. Lots of work on the chest and arms and back.

I was so sore. How sore was I? Well, when I got to work, I had to use both arms to put my coat on the hook behind the door. But, and this is the important part, only my back was sore the next day. My recovery time is much quicker than when I started.

When I started, I was able to due the two training sessions during the week. But I was so sore I wouldn't go to the gym on Sunday. Now I can go and workout on Sundays. I usually do what I call a greatest hits. I take some exercises from each of the days and work them into my own routine.

Today was legs. I think I probably need the most amount of work on my legs especially my hamstrings which are really tight. We've worked very hard on getting them loose and getting more range of motion from them. I did a series of exercises that a couple of months ago I could not have done. Randy got a little choked up about it. He said I've made just great progress in a very short amount of time. That he really enjoys working with because I arrive on time, work hard at doing the exercises properly and have a great attitude (a little more on that latter). I was pretty proud of myself if I do say so myself.

Outside of the gym things are starting to fire on all cylinders too.

I have a good routine of riding the stationary bike. I doing it 2-3 times a week. I usually do it for about 30 minutes or so. I'm using my heart monitor to reach my target heart rate. Maintaining the target heart rate is a little harder than I thought it would be but I stay very close to the range. I'm riding my bike once a week. I'm averaging about 30 miles for each ride (once I have my odometer in place I'll have a better idea of just how far I go). My plan is to start riding to work in the next couple of weeks. I'd also like to see if I can add a spinning class but that might be a little too much.

I'm also doing well on eating. I haven't cut out all of the junk food but I've cut way back. My goal had been to get down to 175. I thought that would take some time to do but I'm hovering right around that now. So the new goal is to get down to 170. If I do that then well I'm not sure if there is a next goal or not. 165? That seems impossible but you never know.

Now back to what Randy said. When we were checking out times for next week, he repeated how much he enjoys working with me and how much progress that I've made. How great it is that I'm on time and have such a great attitude. He added that some people are not like that. There were a couple of other trainers in the room he agreed. They all had someone who'd come in with a bad attitude. To me that just makes no sense at all. I get there early because well I'm always early. I also get there early so that I can warm up before the training session starts. I don't want to waste my paid session getting warmed. And why would you possible come in with a bad attitude. What a waste that is.

I'm going to close by saying that I am extremely pleased with my progress. One of the big reasons for the progress is because my personal trainer ROCKS!!!!!

No comments: