Sunday, December 17, 2006

Reactions to the surge

Here's a story from USA Today about the reaction to the idea of a surge in troops.

I happen to agree with what Senator Reid said:

Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., said that if it were a short-term increase, "won't our adversaries simply adjust their tactics, wait us out and wait until we reduce again? So I think you'd have to ask very serious questions about the utility of this."


I think it is a very valid point. They can easily wait us out. Also who's to take over once the troops leave. I hope Democrats and Republicans raise some really hard questions. I hope they don't roll over like they did when Bush lead us into this war. Most important the legislative branch needs to act like an actual branch of the federal government instead of the executive branch's door mat.

It will be interesting to see when Bush announces his new strategy if he briefs Congress on it. It will also be interesting to see the reaction of the American people. I don't think sending in more troops is what they had in mind when they votes in November.

No comments: