Friday, September 29, 2006

Odds and ends

Commuting
I was running a little late to work this morning and was rushing to the subway. Well perhaps rushing is not exactly the correct term after all it is Friday. Walking quickly hmm walking with purpose.

I got to the subway platform and it was filled with people all piling into a train. I thought I'd wait for the next one. But the sign said the next train wasn't for 11 minutes so I hoped on. Turns out the "train will be holding at this station for another minute." We did that for the next two stops. So the train was pretty well packed with people. At Metro Center and Farragut North (my stop) the train operate said not to crowd this train because there was train right behind this one.

When I got off at my stop, I looked up at the sign and it said next train 6 minutes. Now to me saying there's train right behind this one means you see the lights of the next train as the current one on the platform pulls away. Or at least it pulls into the stop before you exit the station.

Metro has this problem from time to time. Not telling you how long the delay will really be. They do track work on the weekends. Lately it seems it is every weekend. For some reason they like to do it on more than one line sometimes as many as three. The announcement always says expect minor delays of 5 to 10 minutes. I'm not sure what fantasy land Metro is in but the delays are never just 10 minutes.

Cell Phones
I was out at lunch today and stopped into the CVS. I was looking for some key chains so I could give extra keys to people to have just in case while I'm away. So I'm walking into the CVS and I hold the door open for this women who's blabbing away on her cell phone. Can she be bothered to say thanks. Of course not.

It reminded me of the other day when I was doing some shopping at the mall. I heard this very loud voice. I turned to look at this woman "talking" on her cell phone more like shouting into her phone. She just so happened to be looking in my direction and gave me this annoyed look: like how dare I. I wanted to walk up to her and say honey if don't want people looking your way don't have an argument with someone while talking on your cell phone. You're out in public.

Almost there
Art and I had our last phone conversation about the trip. Things are getting into shape. Less than a week. I went and got some New Zealand money and my traveler checks. Had an intersting experience with one of my credit card companies which I'll talk about later.

So the next time I talk to Art, there won't be 8,000 miles and 17 time zones between us but it will be face to face!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: